The Expanded Canon:Main
This page is a private experiment by User:Gideon. If you come across this page than please do not edit it. Enjoy the rest of the wiki!
Note: the point of this experiment has now been resolved by the posting of the original HTML page on this site!
Outside Link: http://blood-wiki.org/Shogo/Expanded-Canon/
Shogo: The Aftermath
Shogo: Mobile Armour Division (called Riot during development and sometimes called Heavy Metal) is a game by Monolith Productions that was created back in 1998 CE. It featured an anime theme as well as Japanese "mecha". Now normally that sort of stuff would not interest me as I am not a fan of anime, but there were two things that got me to play it:
- A: it was made by the same people that made Blood and Blood II: The Chosen and it was made at the same time as them.
- B: it was ported to my favourite operating system (GNU/Linux) by Hyperion Entertainment in 2001 CE (as well as to Mac and AmigaOS).
When I did play it I rather liked it, the game play was memorable, the story was good and the characterizations where excellent.
It has enough anime to interest fans but not enough to turn away people like me (notably the graphics were more like a lower detail Blood II, which was good as it did not have any of the freaky anime stuff). Though I was not happy with the ending, just a single text screen and a rather silly (and murderous) cutscene, no matter which path you chose. That is what brought me to undergo this project, this piece of fan fiction was written to make a more detailed and pleasant ending for my favourite Shogo path (Option 2, Selection 1). For more information read the author's note at the start of the story. The story also takes a lot of inspiration from the truly great collection of Blood fan fiction, if it was not for those I probably would not have written this story. It may be unlikely that Monolith will ever make a Shogo 2 but you may at least take the time to enjoy the work of the Shogo community. If you have never played Shogo then my story will make little sense, however I can provide help as there is a detailed description of the plot on the Blood Wiki: Shogo Sub-Section. These stories are not at a constant and may be edited to improve spelling and grammar at a later time.
Download: [Aftermath.odt Open Document], [Aftermath.doc Word Document], [Aftermath.txt Text].
Oh, I should also mention that these stories contain traces of coarse language and violence. What did you expect from first person shooter fiction? Actually there is less than you might think, might appear more in later stories though.
"The Aftermath" GFDL Version
Now this is for all you modifiers out there, the GNU Free Documentation License version of the "The Aftermath"]. I give you full permission to use this text under the terms of the GFDL. This version is different from the original as I replaced all of Monolith's property with new stuff as well as removed the author's notes and disclaimers. Enjoy!
You may notice that the replacement names are rather anglicized. LOL!
- Simon Michael (Sanjuro Makabe).
- Thomas Michael (Toshiro Makabe).
- Catherine Anderson (Kathryn Akkaraju).
- Kate Anderson (Kura Akkaraju)
- Norman Anderson (Nathaniel Akkaraju).
- Bill O'Brian (Baku Ogata).
- Sophie Sanderson (Samantha Sternberg).
- Harry Jameson (Hank Johnson).
- Ryan Ignazio (Ryo Ishakawa, new last name is Spanish for fire!).
- Cara (Carla, a minor character in Shogo and my story. I ignore that Sanjuro apparently blew her up in during the end credits. ;-P).
- Uriel (Uzeil).
- Graham (Gabriel, say where did I get that name from? ;-P).
- Chthonic (Cothineal, new name derived from a collection of Greek gods).
- Lt. Denver (Lt. Dussault).
- H.ydrolic A.ssault S.uite or HAS (Replaces MCA or Mobile Combat Armour).
- C.orporate C.ontrol A.uthority + D.efense F.orce or CCA+DF (Replaces UCA and UCASF)
- The Forgotten (Replaces the Fallen).
- Kitulus (Kato).
- Cronium (Cronus).
- Lenovian (Leviathan).
- Metroplia (Maritropa).
- Avantius (Avernus).
- C.ronium M.ining E.nforcement F.orce or CMEF (Replaces CMC).
Download: [GFDL.odt Open Document], [GFDL.doc Word Document], [GFDL.txt Text].
Other Works of the Shogo Expanded Canon
Okay, a few days after I begun writing "The Aftermath" my twin brother wrote "Caleb on Cronus" a Shogo/Blood II crossover. It was actually uploaded as part of the "Tome of Blood" a few weeks before "The Aftermath" (the first story to start being written). Later, while being kept up late by a rather nasty cold, he also decided to pen a Shogo short story that was a prequel to both "Mobile Armour Division" and "The Aftermath". That same night I also started a story set before "MAD" in which Kura finds out about Gabriel's identity, it took me forever, but I did eventually release it. Another story, written about a month after I started "The Aftermath", called "Military Academy", was written over a few days by my brother. Later in May 2008, Hamish wrote a sequel to "Caleb on Cronus" titled "Return to Cronus". Soon after Hamish wrote "Looking for the Next Best Thing", which is also a tribute to the musician Warren Zevon. In early February 2009 I found an old Shogo short called "The Fall of Gabriel" from 1999 on a small abandoned fan site which I then read, adapted and uploaded (and then later wrote a review of). It follows the other playable path so it adds a continuation of that plot line. After searching through the Planet Shogo and ShogoMAD.com forums (for Shogo Sub-Section archiving purposes) I came across a decent novelization of the earlier parts of Shogo on May 10, 2009, which I have adapted to proper formatting (for archival, not readability's sake I have included the original unformatted version). The edited version also has a novelization of the first Shogo level I once wrote. More tales may come soon, I have been plotting a few action based stories (as opposed to character based ones). All stories bellow may get GFDL versions at a later date (except for "The Fall of Gabriel" and "Shogo Novel" as we don't control those), though only in open document (.odt) format (which is actually appropriate).
- Shogo Novel: Sanjuro is sent out to defeat Gabriel, the new brash leader of the militant Fallen. (By CyHunter/Graham L. Wilson)
Download: <a href="ShogoNovel.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="ShogoNovel.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="ShogoNovel.txt">Text</a>, <a href="ShogoNovelOriginal.odt">Unedited Version (Open Document)</a>.
- The Fall of Gabriel: after defeating the Fallen, Sanjuro is left to deal with his new life, including those who he thought dead (By Ron "eclip5e" Adams).
Download: <a href="FallofGabriel.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="FallofGabriel.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="FallofGabriel.txt">Text</a>, <a href="Review.odt">Review (Open Document)</a>.
- Life After Death: an insight into the mind of Sanjuro and Kathryn just before "Mobile Armour Division" (By Hamish Wilson).
Download: <a href="LifeAfterDeath.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="LifeAfterDeath.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="LifeAfterDeath.txt">Text</a>, <a href="GLifeAfterDeath.odt">GFDL Open Document</a>.
- Military Academy: a story set during the last days of the Shogo gang's academy training (By Hamish Wilson).
Download: <a href="Academy.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="Academy.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="Academy.txt">Text</a>, <a href="GAcademy.odt">GFDL Open Document</a>.
- Looking for the Next Best Thing: Kathryn and Sanjuro face their inner demons after the Avernus tragedy (By Hamish Wilson).
Download: <a href="LookingNextBestThing.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="LookingNextBestThing.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="LookingNextBestThing.txt">Text</a>, <a href="GLookingNextBestThing.odt">GFDL Open Document</a>.
- Hidden Life: Kura's spy mission, who is "Gabriel"? (By Graham L. Wilson).
Download: <a href="HiddenLife.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="HiddenLife.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="HiddenLife.txt">Text</a>, <a href="GHiddenLife.odt">GFDL Open Document</a>.
The following stories are part of the Expanded Canon "Alternate Universe" series. A place for any number of cross-overs anyone wishes to write.
Please note that these are not to be considered as actual parts of either the official or expanded canons.
Caleb on Cronus: <a href="http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Caleb">Caleb</a> from Blood enters a war torn Avernus after a mishap with a <a href="http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Singularity_Generator">singularity generator</a> (By Hamish Wilson).
Download: <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo.txt">Text</a>.
Return to Cronus: strange events unfold after the events of" Shogo: The Aftermath" and "<a href="http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Tome_of_Blood#How_Much_Time_has_Passed">Blood: How Much Time Has Passed</a>" (By Hamish Wilson).
Download: <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo2.odt">Open Document</a>, <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo2.doc">Word Document</a>, <a href="http://hamish.yoll.net/Blood/blood-shogo2.txt">Text</a>.
Got a new story or just a comment: send it <a href="mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org">here</a>!
It is also worthy to note that one of the probable reasons that the stories involve a lot of insomnia (mostly on Sanjuro's part) is due to them being written in the middle of the night, so we are familiar with it. These stories break the adage "write what you know" as the stories are mostly a product of our fertile imaginations and have little to do with our actual lives, maybe someday one will involve cows but none right now. ;-P I have also looked through various pages on Shogo mods and no one has seen fit to make any storylines for them, so this page is the only source for more Shogo story that I know of.
Shogo: Military Academy
Shogo: Looking for the Next Best Thing
Shogo: Life After Death
Shogo: Hidden Life
Shogo/Blood: Caleb on Cronus (Alternate Universe)
Shogo: Mobile Armour Division (Official Canon)/Novel (Fan Recreation)
Shogo: The Fall of Gabriel (Other Path)
Shogo: The Aftermath
Shogo/Blood: Return to Cronus (Alternate Universe)
Shogo: Expanded Canon History Time Line (CE)
- September 30, 1998: Shogo: Mobile Armour Division is first released for Microsoft Windows by Monolith Productions.
- January 19, 1999: Ron "eclip5e" Adams writes "The Fall of Gabriel", he was a member of the OTAKU deathmatching clan.
- Early 1999: "Blood Runner" a Blood fan fiction piece is written, it mentions the game Shogo: Mobile Armour Division.
- 2001: Hyperion Entertainment releases Shogo for GNU/Linux, AmigaOS, and Macintosh OS X.
- 2003: May 20, 2003 9:04 pm: CyHunter releases his partial novelization of Shogo on the ShogoMAD.com forums
- Early March 2008: Hamish Wilson installs the GNU/Linux demo of Shogo: Mobile Armour Division, first introducing Hamish and Graham to the game.
- Mid-March: Hamish and Graham acquire the GNU/Linux full version and complete the game, with Graham feeling unsatisfied with the endings.
- Late March 2008: Graham starts work on the first begun piece of Expanded Canon fan fiction: "The Aftermath".
- Early April 2008: Hamish writes the Blood/Shogo crossover "Caleb on Cronus".
- Mid-April 2008: Hamish writes "Life After Death" and Graham begins work on "Hidden Life".
- April 25, 2008: "Caleb on Cronus", the first new work of Shogo fan fiction, is published on the web by the Blood Wiki.
- Early May: Hamish writes "Military Academy".
- May 7, 2008: Hamish begins the second Blood/Shogo crossover: "Return to Cronus".
- May 10, 2008: Graham finishes the fan fiction website and uploads "The Aftermath" (plus GFDL), "Life After Death", and "Military Academy".
- May 11, 2008: Graham creates the "Life After Death" and "Military Academy" GFDL versions with Hamish's permission.
- May 17, 2008: "Return to Cronus" is uploaded.
- May 18, 2008: Hamish begins writing "Looking for the Nest Best Thing", he later looses the first draft.
- May 19, 2008: Hamish finishes "Looking for the Next Best Thing" after rewriting it. The GFDL version was created that evening.
- February 6, 2009: Graham finds, reads, and uploads "The Fall of Gabriel".
- March 8, 2009: Graham publishes a review of "The Fall of Gabriel".
- May 10, 2009: Graham finds, edits, and reads, CyHunter's novelization.
- May 11, 2009: Graham finishes editing the novelization, adds some text he wrote, and uploads it to the website.
- June 8, 2009: Graham finally releases "Hidden Life", after more than a year of putting it off.
- Summer 2009: The Expanded Canon's website fails due to a hosting issue.
- February 2010: Work is done towards hosting the site on hosting it on the Blood Wiki.
1. Planet Shogo
3. The Haus of Shogo
4. The Old Official Shogo Web Ring
5. The New Shogo Web Ring
5. Shogo Section of the Monolith Discussion Forums
6. Shogo's Wikipedia Article
Website built with Bluefish 1.0.7 and tested with Mozilla Firefox 18.104.22.168
Website last updated: February 26, 2010.
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are permitted worldwide, without royalty, in any medium, provided this notice, and the copyright notice, are preserved. This does not apply to Shogo names, concepts and characters as they are owned by Monolith Productions as is the Shogo name.