E1M8: House of Horrors
House of Horrors (E1M8) is a secret level in the first episode in Blood. It is accessible through a secret, difficult-to-reach pathway in E1M4: Dark Carnival. The level represents a roller-coaster ride, still under construction, with many traps and unfinished portions.
Song Track: 8 - Fate of the Damned (CD-Audio), cblood4 (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||??|
|Number of Secrets|
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
- After passing through the exit gate, walk straight ahead. The trees in the corner are fake, and can be passed through. Reward: Tommy gun, drum of bullets
- After entering the ride and ticket booth area, push the large sign. A small space will open in the right corner. Reward: Super armour
- In the graveyard, there is a tombstone with a darker colour than the rest (near the pool of water). Push it to open a secret niche. Reward: Life seed
- Near the graveyard is a door. Go up the stairs to a storage room. Near the entrance is some wood on the floor. Crouch and hit the wood to move it aside. Reward: Guns akimbo
- At the storage room (mentioned above), jump out the window. Around the corner, blow up the X-shaped planks, the TNT barrels, and the cultists. There is a ledge running around the area. Jump on the ledge and follow it to a Gray wall. Reward: Doctor's bag, dynamite bundles
See also: References in Blood
- In the Piga Software game Windys the text "Security to the Zombie Cage!" can be found in the secret level, a homage to a part of this level.
- The Blood Team released Weekly Blood Development Updates on the 3D Realms website, and said this about this level:
- Update: 07/19/96: Jay has almost finished his House of Horror level. It lives, it breathes, and is scarier than the darkest levels of Hell. We know, we've been there and kicked ass... Kevin has been creating some new gore and bodies for the House of Horror level.
- Update: 07/26/96: Jay finished off the House of Horror level and created the game script for Blood's first episode.
- Update: 08/09/96: More internal BloodBath testing on Dark Lab and House of Horror.
- Update: 09/20/96: We aren't saying who the second innocent is, just that he fits in with the "DARK CARNIVAL" and "HOUSE OF HORRORS" level themes.
- Update: 10/14/96: The House of Horrors and the lumber mill are getting the most attention though, adding lots of stacked 3D areas.