E1M7: Altar of Stone
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
Altar of Stone (E1M7) is the seventh and final level of the first episode in Blood. It is a large, circular arena made of stone bricks, with weapons and ammo scattered around. This is where Caleb discovers Ophelia's body, and faces her killer, Cheogh.
Like all boss levels in Blood, there are no formal enemy counts or secrets.
"Go up the stairs in either direction. When you get to the wooden bridge leading to the altar in the center, cross it. This will get the attention of Cheogh, and the final battle of episode one will begin. Kill him to end the level."
Caleb starts at the bottom of the arena, facing the raised pillar on the altar. The level is designed like a circle, with one continuous set of stairs that rise and fall at the level's outer ring. Caleb climbs the stairs and crosses a wooden bridge to the altar, where he sees Ophelia's body crucified on a stone slab.
CALEB: Ophelia... Noooooooo!
The area begins to rumble, explosions sound.
CALEB: Show yourself. Show-your-self!
A section of the wall collapses, and Cheogh emerges. After a long, arduous fire-fight, Caleb succeeds in killing the beast.
CALEB: Sleep, Ophelia.
Caleb places Ophelia's body on a stone slab. He brushes away a lock of hair and gently touches her face as he says:
CALEB: Sleep, Ophelia.
He picks up a can of gasoline and drenches her body, as lightning flashes and the body of Cheogh looks on. Caleb flicks his trusty lighter and sets her body ablaze. As the funeral pyre burns, the fire reflecting in Cheogh's eyes, Caleb approaches the gargoyle, sets his shotgun against his temple, and pulls the trigger.
Note: There are no official secrets in this level. However, there are some hard-to-find areas which may be of help to the player.
- Walk up the stairs on the left side and jump out the window. You will fall on a ledge, where a teleporter will take you back. Reward: Super Armour
- Walk up the stairs on the right side and jump out the window. You will fall on a ledge, where a teleporter will take you back. Reward: Life Seed
- Obtain the Jump Boots from below the altar, in the grassy inner circle. Then jump on the wall where Cheogh emerges from. Turn right to find an alcove with treasure. Reward: Guns Akimbo, Sawed-Off Shotgun, Box of Shells
See also: References in Blood
- The camera shot where Caleb presses his shotgun to Cheogh's temple is exactly the same as a similar scene in Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.
- This level is the setting of the fan fiction piece Ophelia.
- Part of the fan movie Duke versus Caleb takes place in this level.
- This level's name inspired the title of the Altar of Stone fan website.