CP03: Gothic Library
Episode 5: Cryptic Passage
"As you leave the opera house through a dark alleyway, you explore an old gothic library. Inside you will find terror at every turn, as you explore the many dark rows of books in this shadowy and foreboding structure."--Cryptic Passage README.TXT
Gothic Library (CP03) is the third level of Cryptic Passage, the first expansion pack for Blood, colloquially known as Episode 5. It resembles an ancient library with many locked doors and secret passages.
Song Track: 8 - Fate of the Damned (CD-Audio) cblood10 (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||51|
|Number of Secrets|
"Go up the steps, and into the library. Keep going forward, past the circular room (take note of the Eye key door here), until you reach the Moon key door. Turn to your right, and walk around the corner. You'll see a wooden door in front of you, and there's a button to open it on the bookshelves on the right side of the room. Hit the button, and go through the now-opened door. In the middle of the stacks you'll find the Eye key, collect it, and push the button next to the door to get back out this room. Return to the circular room, and go through the Eye key door. To your right, you'll see an over-turned bookshelf. Go to the other side of it, and crouch down. You'll see a button on the over-turned bookshelf which opens the bookshelves to your left. Push it, enter the room, grab the fire key, and push the button to get back out the way you came in. Return to the circular room, and walk toward the entrance of the library. To your left, you'll see a staircase leading up to the second floor. Go up stairs, and enter the Fire key door. Take the stairs up, and as you enter the stacks on the upper floor, immediately turn to your left. Walk forward, go around the corner, and you'll see a button on the bookcase to your right. Push it, and a bookcase will open up before you. Go in, grab the Moon key, and push the button to get back out. Go back down to the first floor, past the circular room, and through the Moon key door. Go forward, around the corner, and push the symbol to end the level. "--Baytor's Guide
Enter the library through the door you see at the start of the level. Enter the rotunda, go past the circular desk, through the archway (the moon key door is straight ahead), and turn right. Turn right again and look for a button on the right-hand wall. This opens the door in the corner to your left. The eye key can be found among the book stacks in that room. Go back out to the rotunda and through the eye key door. Look for an overturned book stack. There is a button on one of its sides that opens a section in the wall leading to the room with the fire key. Once you have it, go back through the rotunda and up the stairs near the library entrance. The fire key door is on your left. Enter the room and go up the narrow staircase to the left. At the top of the stairs, turn left, proceed to the end of the book stacks and turn right. On the corner of the stack is a button that opens a door to the large rectangular structure in the center of the room. Get the moon key and retrace your steps to the rotunda. Open the moon key door, proceed past the small pool to the hedge walls, and turn right to the wall with the switch to end the level.
- Push the painting to the right of the Eye Key door. Reward: Life Seed
- Press the bookcase to outside of the Fire Key door. Reward: Death Mask/Invulnerability
- In the Eye Key room, press the wall behind the table. Reward: Life Seed
- After pressing the button on the fallen bookcase, enter the Fire Key room. Push the shelves near the door. Reward: Guns Akimbo
- For whatever reason, only three of these four secrets is listed. Discovering all four leads to a listing of 4/3 secrets.
See also: References in Blood
- Level designer Shawn Shift has stated that the level was inspired by a local library nearby built around the 1920s (the Manchester, New Hampshire city library); he also considered it the better looking of the two levels he worked on, utilizing difficult room-over-room techniques. He considered it weaker in terms of gameplay when compared to CP08: Abysmal Mine however, due to various puzzle sections and a basement area being cut during the level's final rushed completion by Robert Travis. On November 12, 2020 an early version of the map was released and was later enhanced by MetHey as Gothic Library DX (mirror - Blood.Freeminded.De, mirror - ModDB).
- Part Twenty One of the Fan Fiction piece Scroll can also be used as an actual walkthrough for this level.