E4M9: Mall of the Dead
Episode 4: Dead Reckoning
Mall of the Dead (E4M9) is the secret level in the fourth episode in Blood. It is accessible by a hidden wall in the cavern near the end of E4M4: Crystal Lake. The level takes place in a mall, invaded by zombies and gargoyles. It is generally regarded as one of the most popular levels.
Song Track: none (CD-Audio), none (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||82|
|Number of Secrets|
"Walk forward into the next room, and go up the escalator in front of you. Turn left, walk to the wall, turn left, and go up the ramp. Enter the K-Marche, and go into room to your right. Kill the stone gargoyle to get the Skull key. Go back outside the K-Marche. Turn to your right, and follow the passage around to the Skull key door. Go up the steps, and turn right. You'll see a couple of vents. The one in front of you a secret area (use the boots to get to it), so jump up into the one to your right. Follow it to the store room. Over to the left of the store room is a stack of crates leading up to a hole in the roof. Jump up into the roof, and push the symbol to end the level." — Baytor's Guide
- Axe Zombie
- Bloated Butcher
- Gill Beast
- Hell Hound
- Stone Gargoyle
- Flare Gun
- Sawed-Off Shotgun
- Tommy Gun
- Napalm Launcher
- Dynamite Bundle
- Proximity Detonator
- Remote Detonator
- Aerosol Can
- Tesla Cannon
- Life Leech
- Voodoo Doll
- There's a crack in the wall near the room near the escalators. You can also get there by dropping from the pipe upstairs. Reward: Life Seed
- One of the cash registers is coloured differently. It opens a secret niche in the small wooden room. Reward: Cloak of Invisibility
- Near the false exit door is a fan with some extra space behind it. Use the Jump Boots if needed. Reward: Super Armour
- The pipe leading to the storage room near the exit has a strange grate in the ceiling. Reward: Doctor's Bag
- Shoot all the loudspeakers blaring that obnoxious muzak. If you do this, a light will appear in the room mentioned in the first secret. Reward: Guns Akimbo
See also: References in Blood
- This level is largely based on the central concept of Dawn of the Dead, a movie where refugees of a zombie apocalypse hide out in a mall. It even includes the end, when the characters escape by a helicopter on the roof.
- The mall music reappears in an expanded form in Blood II: The Chosen used by CabalCo as elevator music.
- There are little "toys" in the window of the you store, if you kill them they squirt blood and have high pitched death screams from their respective models.
- The Blood Team released Weekly Blood Development Updates on the 3D Realms website, and said this about this level:
- Update: 08/09/96: Jay started an untitled map with a mall theme, which he says is a tribute to Dawn of the Dead.
- Update: 08/16/96: Finished off the Mall map and put it into internal playtest. Kevin will be adding some new art to support this level.