Caleb Goes to War By Hamish Wilson “Son of a bitch” Caleb cursed as German reinforcements stormed the allies front lines. Caleb who was always a fan of bloodshed had not wanted to miss one on such a global scale. So when war had broken out in 1939, Caleb had headed north to Canada and signed up. Now this seemed like a bad idea. “Everyone get out of here now” the general barked, Caleb would have killed him for ordering him around, but this time he spoke common sense. So he and the rest of the Commonwealth troops retreated back to their stronghold. There Caleb was ordered to see the general immediately. “Ah Caleb, I wanted to see you” the general said as Caleb entered. It was a large office, the general was seated behind a large desk. “What the hell do you think you were doing, running though the enemy's fire? Who do you think you are a god?” the General snapped. “No, but I did kill a god” Caleb muttered. The general was obviously not paying attention, because he started to read various papers. After a short while he started pacing the room, deep in thought. Caleb was beginning to get impatient when the general finally spoke to Caleb again. “We shall have a useful purpose for your suicidal tendencies” the general said. “We need information if we are going to get anywhere against the German camp. We need you to sneak of into the enemy's front lines and gather anything that you can get your hands on”. The general sat down in his chair. “Well, will you go?” “You bet, I am just getting warmed up” Caleb replied, ready for another bloodbath. Caleb left the generals office and prepared for his mission. He was never a fan of stealth tactics, preferring a straight fight. Some of the skills Ophelia taught him could come in handy this time however. They had served him well before, the Cabal will never forget what he had done to them. But back to to the mission. Caleb had managed to get through enemy lines quite quickly, and was now nearing the enemies camp. He saw two guards patrolling the entrance. “Security Checkpoint, I guess I'm foiled. I will have to turn back” Caleb said mockingly, adding a evil laugh to the end. He then threw a grenade at the guards, it made a lovely explosion. Soldiers poured out of the base headed for the front lines. The others can fight them off, Caleb had more important things to do. Caleb entered the camp quite uneventfully thanks to his distraction. It was not until he had reached the communications tent that he noticed some people. Caleb was surprised to see a Cabal cultist talking to the German commander. He decided to listen to what they were saying. “It is really for the best if you deal with us, we have so much to offer you” the cultist said, obviously trying to coax the commander into some kind of deal. “But who are you, and who is this Caleb” the commander said. Caleb almost jumped when he heard his name. How did they know he was here? “You do not need to know who we are” the cultist responded “Just kill Caleb and we trade, it is really in your best interest” Caleb decided that now would be a good time to “interrupt” their conversation. Caleb entered the tent through the doorway. “Why hello, now why were you talking about me just now” Caleb said in his most innocent tone of voice. The cultist aimed for Caleb with his Tommy gun, but Caleb knocked it out of his hands. The German commander tried his best shot at Caleb, but was to slow and ended up with a bullet in his brain. “Are you going to answer my question or will I have to force it out” Caleb said through gritted teeth as he put his sawed off to the cultist's head. “You will fall betrayer, sometime you will slip and we will be there to catch you” the cultist said malevolently. Caleb decided that enough was enough and pulled his shotgun's trigger. The cultist fell to the floor beside the German commander. Caleb rummaged through the various papers scattered around the tent and found a booklet marked troop movements. “Bingo” Caleb though as he picked up the book and walked to the door. He stopped and decided to have one last look behind him. The cultist was still on the floor, in a pool of blood. “If they come again, they will regret it” Caleb said angrily, as he headed out of the German camp. This complicated things, he did not like the idea of the Germans having Cabal sponsors. Caleb did not care about what the general had to say about his mission, he just put the booklet on his desk and left. He heard him say something along the lines of “Good Job” but Caleb did not care, he was deep in thought. The Cabal were after him, and some day he would have to face them again headlong. When that day would come he did not know, all that he knew was that he would be ready. Hamish Wilson April 2nd, 2008. Thanks to Monolith Productions for the Blood Games and Characters. No offence to Germans or any other citizens of the former Axis powers intended.